Dental Home Care
Studio City Dental Group wants to help patients achieve attractive, healthy smiles with the durability and resilience to match. Just as important as the care you receive from us, is your at-home routine. Done consistently and appropriately, daily habits like brushing and flossing, supported by a balanced diet full of essential nutrients, are highly effective means to prevent the plaque accumulation that causes gum disease and dental decay.
Our practice recommends patients brush their teeth at least twice daily, ideally, brushing after every meal, including after snacks. This helps dislodge food particles that can contribute to tooth decay or plaque build-up and preserves your long-term dental health.
The following steps can help you get the most out of your daily brushing:
- With the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums, use a small, circular motion to gentle brush your teeth. Make sure you always feel the brush’s bristles on your gums.
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria, freshening your breath.
Studio City Dental Group works with patients to determine their best brushing options, whether a traditional, ADA-approved soft bristle brush or a power, yet simple-to-use electric toothbrush.
Daily flossing keeps the spaces between teeth and at the gum line noticeably cleaner and healthier. These hard-to-reach areas are often missed by brushing alone, opening the door for periodontal disease to develop. Adding flossing to your hygienic routine allows you to comprehensively care for your smile.
Consider the following to attain optimal results from your flossing routine:
- Wrap 12-16 inches of dental floss around your middle fingers, leaving about two inches of floss between the hands.
- Gently guide the floss with your thumbs and forefingers between the teeth.
- Curve the floss around each tooth, making a “C” shape. Move the floss up and down, cleaning the side of each tooth. Take care not to be too rough as you do this.
Bad breath, tooth decay and plaque development can all result from a dry mouth. This is why it is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing. Even if you are unable to brush after a meal, rinsing can loosen some lingering food particles as well as maintain a hydrated oral environment.
Not all over-the-counter rinses are appropriate for all patients. Consult with your dentist at Studio City Dental Group
to see if the rinsing product you’re using is right for you. We can also recommend other solutions for efficient, productive home care, including: interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride or medicated rinses, and more.
Ready to Learn More? Contact Us.
To find out more about how proper home care can help you attain a vibrant, long-lasting smile, schedule a consultation with Studio City Dental Group today